Breast augmentation (enlargement) is a surgical operation whereby the breast is made larger to create an enhanced cosmetic outcome. This is usually achieved by inserting a prosthetic implant or through autologous fat transfer in selected patients. By far, breast implants are the treatment option of choice.
This is usually done through a short incision thorough the skin at the base of the breast. The resulting scar is then hidden under the mound of the breast.
The breast implants are either placed under the breast or under the muscle of the chest. The appropriate plane for implant displacement depends on the size and volume of the breast preoperatively. This will be discussed with you at your consultation.
Breast implants vary in many ways. They come in various sizes and shapes. Implantsof the right size are individually selected for each patient based on their breast size and shape, your body built as well as fulfilling your expectations. You will actively participate in choosing the right one for yourself.
Breast implants are not permanent devices and you will need an operation in the future to either remove or to replace it. The implants which we use (Nagor) come with a lifetime guarantee against leaking or rupture. We do not use PIP implants.
In women with mild to moderate saggy breasts, this problem may be corrected with implants. In selected cases, augmentation is done with mastopexy (uplift).
WHO WOULD BENEFIT FROM BREAST AUGMENTATION
- Would like to have larger breasts to improve their appearance
- Women who have mild to moderate saggy breasts in whom this problem can be solved with breasts implants
- Women with asymmetrical breasts. A breast implant maybe used to augment
the smaller of the breasts.
UNSUITABLE PATIENTS FOR FACELIFT
- Patients who are actively smoking or who have medical conditions like
uncontrolled hypertension are generally unsuitable for this procedure.
- Patients who smoke should have ceased for 4-6 weeks prior to surgery and
hypertensive patients would need to have had their hypertension treated prior
- This like any other cosmetic procedures, should not be considered in patients who have unrealistic expectations or body image disorders./li>
YOUR SURGICAL JOURNEY
BEFORE THE OPERATION
- You will be have at least 2 consultations before your surgery.
- During your first consultation the reasons for, feasibility and expectations of the operation will be discussed. A series of breast and chest measurements will be made and noted.
- Standard photographs will be taken with your consent. You will play an active role in the selection of the right implant for yourself.
- If you take aspirin or NSAIDS (e.g. Ibuprofen) then you should stop these at least 1 week prior to your surgery. These drugs thin the blood and predispose you to a higher risk of bleeding during and after the operation.
- If you are a smoker, you should stop at least 2 weeks prior to your surgery.
DURING THE OPERATION
- This will be performed under a general anaesthetic (that is, you will put to sleep by an experienced consultant anaesthetist). Most patients are able to go home on the same day.
- Mr. Oudit will see you before your surgery. If you have any further questions you would like to ask him prior to the operation, he would be most delighted to answer these for you. He will then place some marks on your chest.
- Your operation will be done in a safe and caring manner respecting your privacy and dignity at all times.
AFTER THE OPERATION
- Mr. Oudit will visit you prior to discharge.
- You will be seen in the Outpatient’s clinic one week after your surgery. The dressings will be removed and wounds inspected. You will then be seen the following week to ensure the wounds are healed and all is well. You will then be reviewed 3months later.
- Surgery Time: Approx. 60-90 mins
- Anaesthetic: General Anaesthetic (GA)
- Hospital Stay: Day case / 1 night
- Exercise: 6 weeks after surgery
- Special Advice: Sports bra should be worn for 8 weeks post-surgery. A wired bra can be worn after