Breast Implant Exchange
If you have had breast implants and you have decided you don’t want them anymore, they can be surgically removed.
There are a lot of reasons you might want to change the shape or size of your breasts. Breast implant removal is the surgical procedure to remove the breast implant without replacing or exchanging the implant with a new implant. may give the breast a deflated appearance, some women opt for additional surgery with implant replacement or breast uplift without implants.
WHO WOULD BENEFIT FROM IMPLANT REMOVAL SURGERY
- Breast Implant Illness
- En-bloc capsulectomy
UNSUITABLE PATIENTS FOR THE SURGERY
- Patients who are actively smoking or who have medical conditions like uncontrolled hypertension are generally unsuitable for this procedure.
- Patients who smoke should have ceased for 4-6 weeks prior to surgery and zypertensive patients would need to ave had their hypertension treated prior to surgery.
- This like any other cosmetic procedures, should not be considered in patients who have unrealistic expectations or body image disorders.
YOUR SURGICAL JOURNEY
BEFORE THE OPERATION
- You will be have at least 2 consultations before your surgery.
- During your first consultation the reasons for, feasibility and expectations of the operation will be discussed. A series of breast and chest measurements will be made and noted.
- Standard photographs will be taken with your consent before your surgery.
- If you take aspirin or NSAIDS (e.g. Ibuprofen) then you should stop these at least 1 week prior to your surgery. These drugs thin the blood and predispose you to a higher risk of bleeding during and after the operation.
- If you are a smoker, you should stop at least 2 weeks prior to your surgery.
- This will be performed under a general anaesthetic (that is, you will put to sleep by an experienced consultant anaesthetist). Most patients are able to go home on the same day.
- Mr. Oudit will see you in the morning before your surgery. If you have any further questions you would like to ask him prior to the operation, he would be most delighted to answer these for you. He will then place some marks on your chest. This is an integral part of the process. About 30-45
minutes prior to your operation you will picked up by friendly staff members and brought to the operating theatre suite.
- Your operation will be done in a safe and caring manner respecting your dignity at all times.
AFTER THE OPERATION
- You will be recovered in a safe environment by caring staff members before you are transferred to the ward.
- Mr. Oudit will visit you prior to discharge.
- You will be seen in the Outpatient’s clinic one week after your surgery. The dressings will be removed and wounds inspected. You will then be seen the following week to ensure the wounds are healed and all is well. You will then be reviewed 3months later for the final time before discharge.
- Operating Time: Approx. 60-90 mins
- Anaesthetic: General Anaesthesia (GA)
- Hospital Stay: Day case / 1 night
- Time off work: 1 – 2 weeks
- Exercise: 6 weeks after surgery
- Special Advice: Sports bra should be worn for 8 weeks post-surgery.
A wired bra can be worn after